BC Speed Skating is pleased to announce that we have secured funding to contract a ST Provincial Coach and a LT Provincial Coach for the 2019-2020 season.
Working with the BC Speed Skating Technical Director, the Provincial Coaches will be responsible for Academy programming, leading Team BCSSA at select national competitions, skater monitoring, and sport development. Please see the attached Job Descriptions (ST Provincial Coach and LT Provincial Coach) for more details.
The first Academy camp of the main season begins September 6th. In order to have the Provincial Coaches in place in a timely fashion, applications are due to the BC Speed Skating Technical Director by August 7th, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 11:59pm Pacific on Wednesday August 7th.
Stage 1: Skaters typically Train to Train aged skaters, training 300-400 hours per year (3-5 ice sessions per week during the skating season).
Stage 2: Skaters are typically Learn to Compete skaters, training 400-500 hours per year (4-6 ice sessions per week during the skating season).
Upcoming Academy Camps:
- Academy – Short Track — Kamloops: September 6-8, 2019
- Academy – Long Track — Fort St. John: September 13-15, 2019
- Academy – Long Track — Fort St. John: October 4-6, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Short Track #1 — Prince George: November 17, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Short Track #2 — Richmond: December 15, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Long Track — Prince George: January 12, 2020
The BC Speed Skating BC Cup circuit is set for the 2019-2020 speed skating season!
The BC Cup format includes,
Day 1 Racing:
– racing for athletes
– volunteer experience for everyone
Day 2 Academy:
– training, testing, and workshops for athletes
– workshops for clubs, coaches, officials, and parents
Registration for a BC Cup weekend includes Saturday racing and Sunday Academy.
*The BC Cup Short Track circuit (BC Cup ST #1 and #2) are qualifiers to BC Short Track Provincial Championships – March 14-15, 2020 in Abbotsford, BC. Further details will be released in the Competitions Bulletin.
**The BC Cup Long Track competition is not a qualifier for BC Long Track Championships – January 25-26, 2020. The BCLT Championships have been awarded to Fort St. John – details to be confirmed.
BC Cup Long Track #1
January 11-12, 2020
Day 1 Racing
BC Cup Long Track #1 includes racing, training, and learning opportunities for skaters, volunteers, and parents over two days.
Aspiring coaches, mark your calendars and register for upcoming Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Webinar and Workshop!
PART 1 Webinars – Wednesday, September 4, 11, 18, 25 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM PST)
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Introduction
- Teaching and Learning
- Making Ethical Decisions
PART 2 Workshop(s) – Date(s)/Location(s) TBD
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Managing a Practice
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Technique
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Analyze Performance
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Equipment
- Peer Teaching
Registration details to be announced
Congratulations to the skaters who have earned a position in the 2019-2020 Provincial Performance Program! The PP Program is a recognition program for skaters who are progressing towards national programs. Skaters qualify based on their results in the previous season, with one mid-season opportunity to qualify.
For more information, please see the Provincial Performance Program webpage.
The BCSSA Officials Development Committee is hosting two officials clinics at Speedy Weekend in Kamloops: Level II Timer and Level II Recorder. Details regarding times, location, and registration are available on the BCSSA calendar. Registration deadline is July 21st- don’t miss out!