The 2019-2020 Competitions Format Bulletin has been released! This bulletin outlines the eligibility, seeding, and format for provincial-level competitions, including the BC Cups, BC Championships and FUNales.
Please also see this short video message from BCSSA Technical Director Chris Acton, which explains the qualification format for the BCST Championship. Any questions should be directed to Chris (email@example.com).
BC Speed Skating is pleased to announce that we have secured funding to contract a ST Provincial Coach and a LT Provincial Coach for the 2019-2020 season.
Working with the BC Speed Skating Technical Director, the Provincial Coaches will be responsible for Academy programming, leading Team BCSSA at select national competitions, skater monitoring, and sport development. Please see the attached Job Descriptions (ST Provincial Coach and LT Provincial Coach) for more details.
The first Academy camp of the main season begins September 6th. In order to have the Provincial Coaches in place in a timely fashion, applications are due to the BC Speed Skating Technical Director by August 7th, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm Pacific on Wednesday August 7th.
Stage 1: Skaters typically Train to Train aged skaters, training 300-400 hours per year (3-5 ice sessions per week during the skating season).
Stage 2: Skaters are typically Learn to Compete skaters, training 400-500 hours per year (4-6 ice sessions per week during the skating season).
Upcoming Academy Camps:
- Academy – Short Track — Kamloops: September 6-8, 2019
- Academy – Long Track — Fort St. John: September 13-15, 2019
- Academy – Long Track — Fort St. John: October 4-6, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Short Track #1 — Prince George: November 17, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Short Track #2 — Richmond: December 15, 2019
- Academy – Sunday @ BC Cup Long Track — Prince George: January 12, 2020
The BC Speed Skating BC Cup circuit is set for the 2019-2020 speed skating season!
The BC Cup format includes,
Day 1 Racing:
– racing for athletes
– volunteer experience for everyone
Day 2 Academy:
– training, testing, and workshops for athletes
– workshops for clubs, coaches, officials, and parents
Registration for a BC Cup weekend includes Saturday racing and Sunday Academy.
*The BC Cup Short Track circuit (BC Cup ST #1 and #2) are qualifiers to BC Short Track Provincial Championships – March 14-15, 2020 in Abbotsford, BC. Further details will be released in the Competitions Bulletin.
**The BC Cup Long Track competition is not a qualifier for BC Long Track Championships – January 25-26, 2020. The BCLT Championships have been awarded to Fort St. John – details to be confirmed.
BC Cup Long Track #1
January 11-12, 2020
Day 1 Racing
BC Cup Long Track #1 includes racing, training, and learning opportunities for skaters, volunteers, and parents over two days.
Aspiring coaches, mark your calendars and register for upcoming Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Webinar and Workshop!
PART 1 Webinars – Wednesday, September 4, 11, 18, 25 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM PST)
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Introduction
- Teaching and Learning
- Making Ethical Decisions
PART 2 Workshop(s) – Date(s)/Location(s) TBD
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Managing a Practice
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Technique
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Analyze Performance
- Speed Skating FUNdamentals Coach Equipment
- Peer Teaching
Registration details to be announced
Congratulations to the skaters who have earned a position in the 2019-2020 Provincial Performance Program! The PP Program is a recognition program for skaters who are progressing towards national programs. Skaters qualify based on their results in the previous season, with one mid-season opportunity to qualify.
For more information, please see the Provincial Performance Program webpage.
The BCSSA Officials Development Committee is hosting two officials clinics at Speedy Weekend in Kamloops: Level II Timer and Level II Recorder. Details regarding times, location, and registration are available on the BCSSA calendar. Registration deadline is July 21st- don’t miss out!
The BC Speed Skating Academy is entering its fifth season! The Academy continues to be a provincially-administered program to supplement the club training for in-province skaters. Over the past four years, Academy has been targeted to Stage 1 (competitive T2T) skaters. Academy 1 will continue this season, with new breakout groups at Academy camps for Academy 2 (Stage 2, competitive Junior-aged) skaters.
Academy will be delivered in a camp-based format, with the following camps planned:
- May: Academy Speed Skating Excellence Retreat (registration open NOW)
- June: Academy Dryland and Cycle Camp (bid package available NOW)
- September: Academy Fall ST Camp (bid package available NOW)
- October: Academy Fall LT Camp (bid package available NOW)
- TBC November: Academy Sunday @ BC Cup ST #1
- TBC December: Academy Sunday @ BC Cup ST #2
- TBC January: Academy Sunday @ BC Cup LT.
Expressions of interest from Local Organizing Committees for the June, September and October camp are due by May 20th. Please refer to the bid package for more details. Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.
The Academy Speed Skating Excellence Retreat (SSER) is returning to the BCSSA AGM this year! The Academy SSER will be hosted Saturday May 25th to Sunday May 26th in Aldergrove (Langley Township), at the same location as the BCSSA AGM.
Registration is now open HERE, with a registration deadline of May 20th.
Activities will run all day Saturday and Sunday until early afternoon. Skaters will use the Academy SSER as an off-ice kick-off to their season training, including baseline testing, instruction on the foundations of dryland and strength training, and season planning. The camp will be led by Jackson Cheung, S&C Coach at the Richmond Olympic Oval, supported by speed skating coaches, BCSSA Technical Director Chris Acton, and Andrei Mandzuk (Mental Performance Consultant).
Eligible skaters include Stage 1 (competitive T2T-aged) and Stage 2 (competitive Junior-aged) skaters. The two groups (Academy 1 and Academy 2) will be broken out at various points in the weekend. Any questions about skater eligibility should be directed to Chris Acton: firstname.lastname@example.org. The SSER is open to all coaches (coaches must also register via the link above).
The BC Winter Games (BCWG) 2020 will be held February 20-23, 2020 in Fort St John. The Tech Package for the Games has been released and is available on the BC Speed Skating website.
- In accordance with BC Games Society rules, there will be ONE age category (per gender) at the BCWG 2020: U14. Skaters who are 12 or 13 years old as of July 1, 2019, are eligible to compete. Each Zone will be eligible to send 3 skaters per gender, with wildcard positions also available.
- BCSSA has successfully proposed a pilot project to the BC Games Society, which allows up to 16 “Young Officials” (14-17 years years old as of July 1, 2019) to attend the Games to become trained as officials, volunteer as track stewards at the Games, and act as mentors to the younger athletes. This is the first project of this type ever at a BC Games!
- BCSSA has successfully requested that long track events will be included in the BCWG 2020, to take advantage of the beautiful indoor long track facility in Fort St John. Skaters will have multiple opportunities to practice on the long track oval, and to race in an exhibition race, prior to racing two official distances: 500m Olympic Style and 7-lap ISU Mass Start. Long track racing will occur after the completion of short track racing for the weekend. All skaters will compete in the short track and long track events.
- BCSSA, the BC Games Society and Special Olympics BC have collaborated to have Special O skaters race at the Games. Special O skaters will exclusively race short track events, in a separate division. Special O Zone Teams will have their own Coaches and Managers.
Please see the BC Speed Skating website for more details. Questions can be directed to the BCWG 2020 Provincial Advisor: email@example.com.