Most officials will start their officiating career as a club volunteer (no formal training required), being informally mentored by a Certified Official in one of many positions: referee, starter, meet coordinator/competitors steward, recorder, timer, place judge, lap counter, heat box steward (clerk of the course), announcer, track steward, and other volunteer roles (runner, water buckets, gatekeeper, hospitality etc.).
Level 1 and 2 Officials Clinics are overseen by the BCSSA ODC and can be found listed on the BCSSA Events & Results Calendar in red. To organize a clinic:
- Plan the type of clinic, date/time, location and Clinic Conductor (current list available here).
- Complete the Clinic Request Form and email to ODC.
- When approved, ODC will advertise the clinic on the BCSSA website.
- Print manuals for clinic participants (available from the SSC website).
- Collect clinic fees for all participants: $5/participant for Level 1 clinics, $25/participant for Level 2 Referee/Starter clinics, $15/participant for other Level 2 clinics).
- After the clinic, submit the Clinic Participant Registry and one cheque covering all clinic fees to the BCSSA Office.
Upgrading to Level 1
To begin the process of becoming a Certified Official, applicants must complete the Level 1 Officials Clinic, assist at meets throughout the season and submit the online Level 1 Upgrade Form. Applications to upgrade are due on March 31st of each year. The BCSSA ODC administers upgrades to Level 1.
Upgrading to Level 2
To upgrade to Level 2, applicants must complete the Level 2 Officials Clinic (specific to the position), officiate at meets throughout the season and submit the Level 2 Upgrade form. Applications to upgrade are due on March 31st of each year. The BCSSA ODC administers upgrades to Level 2.
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Meet Coordinator
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Other Officials
Upgrading to Level 3
Upgrading to Level 3 is administered by Speed Skating Canada’s Officials Development Committee. Applicants for Level 3 upgrades must complete Speed Skating Canada’s requirements for Level 3 officials. All application forms (hard copy, below) must be submitted to the BCSSA ODC for vetting prior to submission to SSC.
- Level 3a Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 3b Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 3 Upgrade Form: Competitors Steward
- Level 3 Upgrade Form: Other Officials
Any questions regarding upgrades should be directed to the Officials Development Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.