Most officials will start their officiating career as a club volunteer (no formal training required), being informally mentored by a Certified Official in one of many positions: referee, starter, meet coordinator/competitors steward, recorder, timer, place judge, lap counter, heat box steward (clerk of the course), announcer, track steward, and other volunteer roles (runner, water buckets, gatekeeper, hospitality etc.).
Level 1 and 2 Officials Clinics are overseen by the BCSSA ODC and can be found listed on the BCSSA Events & Results Calendar in red. To organize a clinic:
- Plan the type of clinic, date/time, location and Clinic Conductor (current list available here).
- Email the clinic details to ODC (email@example.com).
- When approved, ODC will advertise the clinic on the BCSSA website.
- Print manuals for clinic participants (available from the SSC website).
- Collect clinic fees for all participants: $5/participant for Level 1 clinics, $25/participant for Level 2 Referee/Starter clinics, $15/participant for other Level 2 clinics).
- After the clinic, submit the Clinic Participant Registry to ODC via email. Advise the Clinic Conductor to submit an expense claim form (to cover the Clinic Conductor fee) to ODC via email.
- You will be invoiced for the clinic fees.
Upgrading to Level 1
To begin the process of becoming a Certified Official, applicants must complete the Level 1 Officials Clinic, assist at meets throughout the season and submit the online Level 1 Upgrade Form. Applications to upgrade are due on March 31st of each year. The BCSSA ODC administers upgrades to Level 1.
Upgrading to Level 2
To upgrade to Level 2, applicants must complete the Level 2 Officials Clinic (specific to the position), officiate at meets throughout the season and submit the Level 2 Upgrade form. Applications to upgrade are due on March 31st of each year. The BCSSA ODC administers upgrades to Level 2.
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Meet Coordinator
- Level 2 Upgrade Form: Other Officials
Upgrading to Level 3
Upgrading to Level 3 is administered by Speed Skating Canada’s Officials Development Committee. Applicants for Level 3 upgrades must complete Speed Skating Canada’s requirements for Level 3 officials. All application forms (hard copy, below) must be submitted to the BCSSA ODC for vetting prior to submission to SSC.
- Level 3a Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 3b Upgrade Form: Referees and Starters
- Level 3 Upgrade Form: Competitors Steward
- Level 3 Upgrade Form: Other Officials
Any questions regarding upgrades should be directed to the Officials Development Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.